June 2024 Reading List


JUNE (13 books | 4,561 pgs)

68.) This Skin Was Once Mine and Other Disturbances by Eric Larocca (Stories, 240 pgs) | 3/5

69.) Taaqtumi: An Anthology of Arctic Horror Stories (Stories, 184 pgs) | 3/5

70.) X-Men Epic Collection: The X-Cutioner's Song by Jim Lee (Graphic Novel, 280 pgs) | 3/5

71.) X-Force Epic Collection: Assault on Graymalkin by Fabian Nicieza (Graphic Novel, 496 pgs) | 3/5

72.) Small Horrors: A Collection of Fifty Creepy Stories by Darcy Coates (Stories, 266 pgs) | 2/5

73.) Dead Relatives by Lucie McKnight Hardy (Stories, 213 pgs) | 4/5

74.) We Spread by Iain Reid (Novel, 289 pgs) | 5/5

75.) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Young Adult / Novel, 368 pgs) | 5/5

76.) The Dark Tower, Book 2: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King (Novel, 459 pgs) | 5/5

77.) Burn You the Fuck Alive by B.R. Yeager (Stories, 380 pgs) | 3/5

78.) Phoenix Omnibus Vol. I by Chris Claremont (Graphic Novel, 688 pgs) | 4/5

79.) The Nightmare Dimension by David Conyers (Stories, 234 pgs) | 2/5

80.) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Young Adult / Novel, 464 pgs) | 5/5


*    *    *


I've landed on what I think is a pretty good cover idea for the next book. The obvious choice would be to have some kind of a map background, but I'm eschewing that for something a little more organic and a lot more personal and I hope I can get the photography of it correct, because if so, it'll be a very striking cover. 

Writing is coming slow, but it's coming. Painting isn't coming at all; I've just not felt the pull of the studio in that regard, which is really disappointing. Work has been incredibly challenging the last few months, which may be factoring into that non-productivity. 

But as you can tell from the above, I'm also relishing in the enjoyment of simply reading multiple books at night and on the weekends again. For too long, it was so hard to focus on the words unless there were images attached and now it's like I'm back to normal on that front. A great and wonderful feeling, so I'm trying to ride it out for as long as I can knowing full well I may end up losing the ability to do so again at any point. 

I'm particularly enjoying my forays back into the worlds of the Dark Tower's gunslinger Roland and the wizarding world's Harry Potter, both of which I used to read every other year as a palate-cleanser from other, more challenging books. 

Looking forward to more pool days on the other side of the state line in my old stomping grounds. Looking forward to a friend's wedding in September. Looking forward to my next two book events here in town and in St. Louis; I'll post more about those with next month's update. 

Speaking of, maybe go buy a copy of my latest book HERE if you haven't done so already. I guarantee a deliciously unsettling experience. 


(14,072)

Comments

  1. Sounds like lots to look forward to!

    That bit on "hard to focus on the words unless there were images attached" is a side effect of the social media front. See lots of kids and adults affected this way. ADD/ADHD too, if the shoe fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needing pictures to accompany text may also be a side effect of social media, but I know for a fact that it stems from all the grief-brain I've endured the last few years (which is mostly gone now, thankfully).

      Delete
    2. Interesting. Never considered that angle. I keep wondering what my issue is though, stretching back to before social media and other grief-related situations. Maybe I am just forever stuck in 1st grade. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Chaosium Con Three: Footloose & Sanity Free

Chaosium Con 2: The Eldritch Buchaloo

A Homecoming 5 Hours Away From Home: Musings on Chaosium Con III: Ypsilanti Drift