My Favorite Albums of 2023

These are the albums that got me through this last year. I've been finding myself getting sucked down a vortex of very sentimental soul and rnb (some purely one or the other, some more electronic or experimental in nature). However, not all of these albums came out this year. In no particular order, these are just the albums I got hip to that made a massive impact on my listening habits. 

*    *    *



Vacations
"Changes"
(2018)

Part 80s & 90s UK mod sound, part 90s crooner vibes - like The Smiths, but without the pure, and annoying, douchebaggery of Morrissey. This album really hit hard during the last half of the year. So much so, that several tracks became a part of my Winter Soul 2023 playlist this year (along with several other new artists mentioned below). What I dig about these guys is they've got a beautifully musical sound backing some really exceptional, and moving, lyrics. 

Standout Tracks: "Anything Could Happen," "On Hold," "Moving Out," "Telephones," and "Soft."

You can hear this full album HERE

*

Mac Ayres
"Comfortable Enough"
(2023)

My friend, and local emcee, Stacy 'Reach' Smith got me hooked on Mac several years back during one of our normal "bro, you GOTTA hear this" emails back and forth, and he's been a staple of my listening collections ever since. 

While this is not my favorite full album of his, goddamn if this young songwriter doesn't just crush it, both musically and lyrically. He's a young cat, and despite being from Long Island, he's got a real SoCal/dude-at-party-playing-acoustic-guitar vibe to him but brings SO MUCH MORE to the table. I will never not buy anything this guy puts out because I know it'll be great (and his lyrics are exceptional). Plus, he gets playful with shit; like, when you read them aloud, the titles of each track on the album create a single sentiment: 

"Living's Too Much Giving | Something's Gotta Change | 
I Can't Go On | Pretending | 
To Be | Comfortable Enough | 
It's Not | Me vs. Myself | Anymore | 
If You're Feeling Lost | I'll Be Your Home Now | & We'll Feel Better | Again | 
Cuts Heal in Time | 
Everything Changes | & That's Alright"

Standout Tracks: "Something's Gotta Change," "I Can't Go On," "Pretending," "To Be," "Comfortable Enough," "Anymore," and "If You're Feeling Lost."

You can hear this full album HERE

*

Jamie Isaac
"Couch Baby"
(2016)

London-based singer/songwriter Jamie Isaac was the best surprise of the year for me. He hit on every cylinder of my musical needs and interests this year and I could literally drown while listening to his albums and it would be the perfect soundtrack in every moment. Ethereal, beautiful, vulnerable...I absolutely love these albums. I bought both immediately after a single listen of each in one sitting. 

Standout Tracks: "Find the Words," "CNT U SEE," "Last Drip," "Know U Like Me," and "Beauty." 

You can hear this full album HERE

*


Jamie Isaac
"(04:30) Idler"
(2018)

The second album by this young dude with the breathy voice, the soft electronic backing tunes, and the great lyrics. This is great late-night stuff. Perfect for pouring out that final glass of wine at the end of a long day before running a bath (or while during). I am pretty particular about my singer/songwriters and Jamie Isaac very quickly became a personal favorite with both of the albums mentioned here. Jamie's music is what I imagine it sounds like in many of my dreams. 

Standout Tracks: "Wings," "Maybe," "(04:30) Idler/Sleep," "Eyes Closed," "Slurp," "Counts for Something," "Melt," and "Delight."

You can hear this full album HERE

*


The Depreciation Guild
"Spirit Youth"
(2010)

Heavy shoegaze vibes coupled with some of New Order's more musical pieces, The Depreciation Guild was a fun surprise. I like this first album leaps and bounds more than their follow-up (which seemed like a total change in style and tone) as it's got some real 90's-feeling grips to it that are easy for me to fall into if everything else is good. 

Standout Tracks: "Crucify You," "Blue Lily," "Dream About Me," "November," and "White Moth."

You can hear this full album HERE

*


Benaddict, Slim, & Ella Mae Sueref
"Cerulean"
(2023)

I don't recall how I came across Benaddict's discography, but I'm REALLY glad I did. He's become one of my favorite UK emcees (as well as his instrumental hip hop production work under the name Psalm Trees). His solo albums are great, though probably a little more boom-bappy than his albums with Slim and Ella Mae Sueref (their previous album being "Teal," another play on the color blue). There's something more soulful and introspective about these collaboration albums, which I appreciate. Like a heaviness or a need for Benaddict to expand on certain ideas or concepts, Slim and Ella Mae come in with their own vocal styles to enrich that. Phenomenal collaborative efforts and great albums. You could literally put any of his albums on, push play, walk away, and enjoy the entirety of it. 

Standout Tracks: "Seven Days," "Home (Village Live)," "Leave No Trace," "AMPM," "Spring," and "Make Time as Nothing."

You can hear this full album HERE


(9,401)

Comments

Popular Posts

Chaosium Con 2: The Eldritch Buchaloo

Chaosium Con Three: Footloose & Sanity Free

Lost People Get Lost in Things