Cocooning in the Comfort of the Known

Everything remains in strange stasis. 

I am drowning in the listening of music, but have lost interest in seeing the performance of it, as well as any interest in my own live manipulation of it. 

The last few years have been an interesting foray into more droning, ambient soundscapes. The sound of wind being clutched and stretched and scraped across the earth's surface; a chorus of haunting cherubs whispering faint discordance behind cloud cover; the earth's molten skeleton hardening and grinding against itself, slowly toppling continents above. 

I'm currently enjoying an album called "The Great Blizzard," which is a great title for it. Weirdly, I don't recall the album that was my first introduction into the genre, but I do remember the radio program Hearts in Space, which played a lot of this stuff. Nocturnal Transmissions was another show on local radio that I'd fall asleep to back in the mid-90s. 

I think I like the expanse of it. Like turning time into taffy and putting just a sprinkle of harmony into the mix. Like falling asleep floating on your back in the ocean...without a boat and without the fear of drowning or being attacked. Blissful waves rocking, lapping...each splash a pretty sound like that of diamonds shattering. 

Adherence to the weekly needs of the writing class has been tough, what with this white static head fog all the time. The not drinking has done wonders, however, as the random drink here and there has produced leg cramps again, so I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing a thing called "alcohol myopathy." This is pure conjecture on my part because, as you all well know, I'm not a golfer. 

June and July have been hot. So, too, has my garage. Painting has taken a bit of a backseat these last two weeks. Even with the three fans blasting, about an hour or so out there was starting to push it. I've been stacking up supplies and creating a couple tools to help with future techniques, so I'm really pushing for some cooler weather sooner. It's always smart to step away from ANY hobby for a little bit and come back to the table with renewed vigor and ideas. 


The world is still the worst kind of weird, and it will almost assuredly mutate into something weirder and worse. Learn to ride the chaos, but make sure to take care of each other. 


(3,905)

Comments

Popular Posts

Chaosium Con 2: The Eldritch Buchaloo

Chaosium Con Three: Footloose & Sanity Free

A Homecoming 5 Hours Away From Home: Musings on Chaosium Con III: Ypsilanti Drift